ExpeMed™ (Expedition Medicine) Course
As well as small-group practical sessions, the course consists of an intense series of interactive outdoor training scenarios to teach and enhance skills of teamwork, communication, leadership and improvisation. Practical sessions include casualty extrication from vehicles in remote areas, use of improvised stretchers and provision of safe drinking water. These interactive sessions are interspersed with a small number of superb short lectures outlining key issues such as diving medicine, altitude medicine and heat illness.
The instructional faculty includes highly experienced doctors, paramedics and expedition leaders who are all current and highly respected in their field. In keeping with Prometheus’ reputation for educational innovation, teaching is largely based on realistic practical scenarios delivered in a challenging, fun and highly stimulating way.
Students will have the opportunity to become a member of the ExpeMed™ Register and be informed of requests for expedition medics.
The ExpeMed™ course aims to provide healthcare professionals with the confidence, knowledge and practical skills to plan for an expedition, maintain the expedition’s health and manage illness and injuries in a remote location.
The syllabus includes:
- Expedition preparation and planning
- Expedition health protection
- Trauma management in the field
- Field resuscitation
- Pre-hospital management of spinal injuries
- Improvised splintage
- Improvised casualty carrying and stretchers
- Heat injuries
- Planning an expedition to the tropics
- Tropical medicine in the field
- Mountain medicine
- Cold injuries
- Drinking water on an expedition
- Wound management
- Remote casualty extrication from a vehicle
- Water safety
- Primary care for expeditions
- Medical emergencies in the field
- Expedition dentistry
- Joining an expedition
- Expedition medical kits
- Medico-legal and practical aspects of medications on an expedition
- Extensive practical skills training
Healthcare Professional (Doctor, Nurse, Paramedic, EMT, Combat Medical Technician Class 1, Dentist).
Prometheus Medical Certified
Course Details Brochure
Download our course details PDF below:
To discuss your requirements please complete this form: